If you didn’t get a chance to read my post yet on the ketogenic diet and whether or not it might be a good fit for you, take a moment to head on over HERE.
Put simply, ketosis refers to fat-fueled metabolism – a metabolic state where the body gets energy from fat. The beauty of having control over your own body is that it is very adaptable, and with small tweaks, you can fuel that adaptable machine for great success.
This has been working really well for me, as of late, to maintain blood sugar levels, keep energy levels high, and maintain muscle mass and body composition while I my training is really restricted as I heal my herniated discs.
I have been experimenting with different ways to get delicious, nutritious fats in, especially with my hectic schedule, and the original fat poppers have been pretty spectacular. But change is nice, so I decided to make a few tweaks. This new recipe was also inspired by a few of my client who aren’t crazy about the taste of coconut. The almond butter and vanilla in these bad boys really change the taste and texture, resulting in a delicious final product!
I also want to make sure that folks understand that, while these are DELICIOUS and a wonderful tool in helping transition your body to fuel off of fat, they are still calorie dense. If used simply as a supplemental snack throughout the day in addition to 5+ meals a day rather than as intended, they won’t serve the purpose, and you won’t get the benefits outlined in my original post.
These are great before a workout, as a snack when you have a long time before meals, or as a quick bite in the morning to continue a fat fast from a night’s sleep.
Let me know what you think!
[recipe title=”Keto Vanilla Coco-Nut Poppers (GF, keto)” servings=”12″ time=”40 min” difficulty=”easy”]
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 3 TB cup butter, grass-fed (I use Paleo Butter) or 3 more TB coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw organic almond butter
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 3-4 drops Stevia extract
- pinch sea salt (optional)
(Note: 1 bag of the Let’s Do Organic shredded coconut makes exactly 2 batches)
WHAT TO DO:
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- spread the coconut on a baking sheet and toast for 5-8 minutes until light golden (stir it up once or twice to prevent burning)
- toss the shreds into a Vitamix or blender and turn on high, until they turn into a fine powder (*if you prefer the texture of coconut shreds, blend for less time)
- melt coconut oil, add butter and almond butter and stir until soft, and throw that in the Vitamix
- blend until smooth and liquidy
- pour into a bowl (I reused my measuring cup for one less dish)
- stir in stevia, vanilla, and optional sea salt
- use a tablespoon and pour a rounded scoop into tiny muffin tins
- pop in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to set (*if they haven’t set long enough, they will not pop out)
- pop them out by banging the back of your muffin tin (kind of fun)
- keep them in the fridge in an air tight glass container
- ENJOY!! [/recipe]