Before I jump into a recipe, I want to take a moment to highlight the real reason for this long weekend. Eating yummy food and hanging in the sun with friends and family are great, but we can’t forget why we celebrate Memorial Day… To remember and honor the men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice to fight for what they believe in and to protect their country.
I got a beautiful reminder of this on Saturday when I helped coach at a huge fundraising event for The Navy Seal Foundation. 100 + people came out to do Memorial Day Murph in honor of Lieutenant Michael Patrick Murphy, a United States Navy SEAL lieutenant who was awarded the U.S. military’s highest decoration, the Medal of Honor, for his actions during the War in Afghanistan. The workout was one he did weekly – run 1 mile, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 air squats, run 1 mile – and it is now done by CrossFit athletes all over the world in his honor.
A Memorial Wall with photos and stories of fallen Navy Seals… such an emotional experience
Each athlete that participated this weekend at the event in beautiful Half Moon Bay did so in honor of a fallen soldier who had touched his or her life in some way. NorCal CrossFit helped to put on the event with Twitter and HGST, and it was an amazing day, filled with laughter, community, and respect. That’s what this CrossFit community is all about, and it’s a beautiful thing.
And now it’s recipe time…. How about some delicious burgers on this beautiful Memorial Day weekend? That’s what we’ll be eating at the Bruner home (Rusty is soooo good when it comes to burgers… sorry ladies, he’s taken).
So here it is…..
Bacon Cheddar Stuffed Bruner Burger Bowl
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 12 ounces grass-fed ground beef or bison
- 2-4 ounces of raw grass-fed cheese (we like 4)
- 4 slices of pastured pork bacon (we always go with Pete’s Paleo)
- the salad from THIS post
WHAT TO DO:
- cook the bacon on a griddle (we use the same griddle for the burgers, but they can also be cooked on the grill. Oh and ALWAYS keep your bacon fat)
- flatten each portion of beef out into 4 thin patties
- cut the cheese and bacon up into little bits
- take two flat patties and spread half the cheese and half the bacon on each (use it all) – make sure you leave space around the edge of each patty
- take the other two and place them on top
- use your fingers to seal the edges all the way around
- keep some of the bacon grease on your griddle and cook the patties on medium high heat
- cook about 4 minutes on each side (you’ll know it’s ready to flip when the top starts to pucker up a bit)
- Enjoy over the Bruner Burger Bowl salad! (we top with stone ground mustard)
Happy Memorial Day everyone! Hold the people you care about close and enjoy them.