Fact: my husband loves biscuits. Corn biscuits. Biscuits and gravy. Buttermilk biscuits. Cheddar biscuits. Breakfast biscuit sandwiches. You name the biscuit, he loves it. With temperatures dropping, and soups, stews, and lots of chili on the menu at least 4 days a week, he’s been asking me for biscuits pretty much daily. I love him, so I made him biscuits. Lucky for you (and me), I kept them clean, simple, and super easy. And even luckier for all parties, they turned out so good. I’m talking perfectly crisp crust with a moist, fluffy inside that melts in your mouth. Melt some butter and add a bit of honey, and you’ve got yourself a dream biscuit.
With the pressure of pleasing a biscuit loving dude, whose mom is a master baker, and the challenge of keeping it grain free and relatively clean, I knew what I was taking on. My friends, I think I might have nailed it.
Since I first made these last week, we have had them at least twice a week with big bowls of chili. The perfect meal on a chili (well, I live in California, so not too chili) Fall or Winter night. They will also be the perfect replacement for the rolls my family usually includes in Thanksgiving dinner. If the entire Thanksgiving meal has been turned over to me, that is going to include the rolls, damnit. There will be no gluten at this meal, nothing processed, and nothing artificial. My rules. Isn’t that fun?
Taste for yourself and let me know. Introducing, my fluffy salt butter biscuits, the perfect accompaniment to your comfort food favorites…
Salt Butter Biscuits (GF)
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 TB coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 TB cold grass-fed butter or ghee (I used Paleo Butter)
- 1 TB organic apple cider vinegar (I used Bragg)
- 1 large pastured egg
- 1/4 cup coconut cream*
*regular coconut milk from a carton won’t really work well. Use the cream off the top of a cold can of full fat coconut milk or buy pure coconut cream (both found in the ethnic section of your grocery store or online). You can also sub organic heavy whipping cream, which is delicious, if you don’t have any issues with dairy!
optional toppings: a bit of grass fed butter and raw organic local honey
ingredient notes can be found HERE
WHAT YOU DO:
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- mix almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl
- now, break your butter into bits and work into the flour until you have a crumbly flour mixture
- in a separate bowl combine vinegar, egg, and coconut cream
- pour wet ingredients into dry and combine until you have a sticky, wet dough
- stick dough into the fridge for 20 minutes to make it easier to work with
- now roll it into 6 balls and push them down just a bit on a baking sheet
- sprinkle a bit of sea salt on top of each
- bake for 20 minutes, until lightly browned and slightly cracked (a toothpick comes out clean)
- ENJOY! Eat fresh out of the oven with some butter and a bit of honey (I HIGHLY recommend these alongside my beef and bacon chunky pumpkin chili)
If you like these, please share with the ones you love! Leave a comment below letting me know what you paired these delicious biscuits with. Enjoy! <3