It’ll be no surprise to anyone when I say this… People spend too much damn time with their noses in their phones (while not everyone is guilty of this, I’m speaking of the majority… At least here in the Silicon Valley). I think it’s gotten too easy to forget about living and loving actual life because it feels like we’re living when we can simply look at a phone and see pictures and status updates about the beach, hiking trails, adventures, love, and REAL relationships.
Now, I have been just as guilty of this as others at times, but I’ve been making a point as of late to really try and appreciate all that life has to offer outside of the screen. When work, blogging, recipes, photos, and social media all have to do with that little phone screen or my laptop, it becomes easy to get sucked in. But you guys, what really matters are the people you surround yourself with, the adventures you go on, and the love you build for each other and for life. So make sure you are doing what you love with the people you love, and most importantly, don’t take it for granted. Having a summer devoted to healing has really been a tough lesson on this.
Fall in love with life.
I know it might come off as cliché, but the “LIFT” in the name of this blog refers to barbells, yes, but more importantly, to lifting each other up and lifting your own spirit up through fostering relationships and enjoying experiences.
Wherever that happy place is for you (a coffee shop, sunset, or road trip, perhaps?), get there. Whoever those people are for you (significant other, friends, family, or dogs), love them. Some experiences are meant just for you and the ones you’re with, so put the phone away, and take it all in. Go for adventures, and *gasp* leave your phone at home; sit in a coffee shop and read or catch up with an old friend; get lost in nature; use your imagination to believe better things…. and go live them.
We can all be a living, breathing, screaming invitation to our person to believe better things.
Crazy? Maybe. Possible? Definitely. So go do it.
Now, onto my recipe for the day. featuring the amazing Sweet Spreads. If you haven’t, check this stuff out (you won’t regret it)!. I think you’ll like this one. Plus, it takes only about 7 minutes to prep, so you’ll have more time to be with your people. Introducing….
[recipe title=”No-Cook Coconut Cocoa Truffles (GF)” servings=”8″ time=”40 min” difficulty=”easy”]
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup clean chocolate or vanilla protein powder (I used Tera’s Whey)
- 2 TB coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 heaping TB raw nut butter of your choice
- 2 TB chocolate brownie Sweet Spreads
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (soy free and at least 75%)
- 3 TB shredded coconut
WHAT YOU DO:
- mix flax, coconut flour, protein powder, coconut sugar, and cinnamon ingredients well in a medium bowl
- in a pot over low heat, stir nut butter, Sweet Spreads, coconut milk, and vanilla just long enough to combine
- pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until you have a nice dough
- add in your chocolate ships and incorporate
- now form “dough” into 6-8 balls and roll them in the coconut shreds (this helps them stay together nicely)*
- set on a plate or dish and put them in the fridge for at least 30 min
- store them in the fridge (if you have any left)
*this is fun, messy, and sticky… enjoy the process (your hands will be messy) [/recipe]
If you make these, let me know what you think, and post a pic using #liftlaugheatrepeat (but don’t spend too much time on that phone).
Now, it’s off to Orange County to make some memories all weekend…. family, friends, weddings, love, and all with my favorite person. Ciao!