One of my favorite things about summer has to be Sunday Farmer’s Markets with the array of delicious (not to mention gorgeous) produce, loaded with nutrients, and just asking to be enjoyed. The phenomenal selection of freshly picked fruits and veggies is only made that much more awesome with the fact that I get to walk through the street perusing the selection, hand-in-hand with my best friend.
Excuse the sentimentality, but I’m missing him right now because he is in Asia for 10 days, and he’s just so damn special.
Anyways, because I married such an awesome dude, I really like to see him happy, and there’s no easier way to make the hubs smile than by baking one if his favorites. He has been asking for a berry cobbler since this summer season’s first official walk through the Los Gatos Farmer’s Market, but I haven’t gotten around to baking it yet (things have been a little nuts for me as of late). But since he was leaving for 10 days in Asia with zero chance of berry cobbler in his near future, I decided to bake something special for us to enjoy on his last night in America for a while.
This was a brand new recipe, made from scratch that evening, and BOY, did it work! This was an especially enjoyable one for me because Rusty helped, and baking with a buddy is fun!
This is now my official favorite summer dessert of all time. It’s loaded with freshly plucked organic berries and vitamin-packed grass fed butter. Now, that’s hard to beat. It’s also super simple, so give it a shot for your next summer get-together. You’ll wow the guests, and no one will even miss the grains or processed sugar in your average cobbler. The kicker is the way the berry filling bubbles over the edge of the cobbler when it’s done… Holy crap, you guys, this is good.
So here it is!
Delicious Summer Berry Cobbler (GF, DF)
WHAT YOU NEED:
for crumble topping:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup raw pecans
- 1/4 cup sprouted sunflower seeds
- 2 TB cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3-4 TB honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
for berry filling:
- 1 cup black berries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 3 TB grass fed butter (or more coconut oil)
- more vanilla and coconut sugar to taste (about 1/2 tsp each)
- 2-3 sprinkles of tapioca flour (as a thickener)
WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- put the cashews and pecans in Vitamix and spin till chopped into small pieces (or just chop like they did in the old days)
- throw them in a bowl with seeds, nibs, flax, sea salt, and coconut sugar
- melt coconut oil in a pan and put in a small bowl
- mix honey and vanilla into coconut oil
- pour over nut/seed mixture and stir to incorporate
- now, onto the berries – throw them into a heated pan with the butter
- let reduce, stirring frequently
- add vanilla and coconut sugar to taste
- after about 3-5 minutes add a sprinkle of tapioca flour to thicken until you have desired consistency (the progression will look something like this)
- pour berry filling into baking dish and cover with amazing topping
- let bake for 15-20 minutes (start checking at 15 and wait till the crumble browns and the berry filling bubbles at the corners)
- ENJOY! We had ours over Coconut Bliss Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream… holy smokes.