I love Fall. Fall means crisp air, warm sweaters, changing leaves, and pumpkin everything. Plus, everyone knows it’s baking season.
So when I woke up on Friday morning after coming home from a trip to San Diego (where the seasons don’t actually change) to the smell of Fall, my soul was happy. I’ve been in need of change after a bit of a rough summer, and the changing seasons bring with them some new perspective. I went for a walk to take it all in, and took the time to notice the beautiful autumn leaves everywhere, the crispness in the air, and a sense of peace (new morning routine) and I knew it was truly here. As soon as I got back, it was straight to the kitchen to get the creative baking juices flowing with that most special Fall ingredient.
Who doesn’t love pumpkin? Who doesn’t love a warm cup of coffee with a delicious scone on a Fall morning? If you love these things like I do, keep reading. If you don’t, keep reading. I hope to change your mind by Christmas time. Expect lots of great recipes that include pumpkin coming your way, from desserts, and breakfast baked goods to stews, crock pot dishes, and all kinds of main meals. I don’t plan on overwhelming any dish with pumpkin, but a faint hint of this wonderful flavor can really do wonders for all kinds of dishes. It’s versatile, offers a great consistency, and is super healthy too! So here we go; Introducing my very first Fall recipe of the year, and therefore, my very first Fall blog recipe ever! Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones… a great start to any Fall morning!
[recipe title=”Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones (GF)” servings=”6″ time=”30 min” difficulty=”easy”]
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 TB coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cold grass-fed butter (I used Paleo Butter)
- 1 large pastured egg
- 1/3 cup organic pumpkin purée
- 1 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1 TB maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
WHAT YOU DO:
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- mix almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, spices, and salt in a medium bowl
- now, break your butter into bits and work into the flour until you have a crumbly flour mixture
- in a separate bowl combine egg, pumpkin, vinegar, maple syrup, and vanilla
- pour wet ingredients into dry and combine until you have a sticky dough
- fold in your chocolate chips and make a dough ball
- stick dough into the fridge for 20 minutes to make it easier to work with
- now flatten it out on a baking sheet like a big thick pancake
- cut into 6 even triangles and separate (at least 1/4 inch between them)
- bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean
- let them cool and enjoy!
* find notes on all of my ingredients HERE [/recipe]
These were a real hit in our house. Happy Fall everyone! What’s your favorite pumpkin recipe? Give me some ideas in the comments below, and I’ll get creative!